Tucked away in the Caucasus Mountains in the north of Georgia, is the historic province of Khevsureti.
Te Wairoa, also known as The Buried Village is located close to the shore of Lake Tarawera in New Zealand’s North Island.
Equihen Plage, on the coast of northern France by the English Channel, is a small seaside village with a population of about 3,000.
The Vajont Dam (or Vaiont Dam) is a disused dam in Italy, which was completed in 1959. On 9 October 1963, during initial filling, a massive landslide caused a man-made megatsunami in the lake in which 50 million cubic metres of water overtopped the dam in a wave 250 metres (820 ft) high, leading to 1,910 deaths and the complete destruction of several villages and towns.
Kupari was once a hugely popular holiday resort, until it was damaged during the Croatian War of Independence.
The Cultybraggan camp is one of the last remaining World War 2 Prisoner of War Camp in the UK.
The Stone Forest or Shilin is a notable set of limestone formations about 500 km2 located in Shilin Yi Autonomous County, Yunnan Province, People’s Republic of China, near Shilin approximately 90 km (56 mi) from the provincial capital Kunming.
Preikestolen or Prekestolen (English: Preacher’s Pulpit or Pulpit Rock) is a famous tourist attraction in the municipality of Forsand in Rogaland county, Norway. Preikestolen is a steep cliff which rises 604 metres (1,982 ft) above the Lysefjorden. Atop the cliff, there is an almost flat top of approximately 25 by 25 metres (82 ft ×…
Riese is the code name for a construction project of Nazi Germany in 1943–1945, consisting of seven underground structures located in the Owl Mountains and Ksiaz Castle.
Spread across the beautiful rolling hills of Rakhine in Western Burma, lies a little known archeological site—the medieval town of Mrauk U.
Located near the village of Artashavan, close to the highway, in Armenia, stands 39 giant carved Armenian letters dedicated to the language its speakers take pride in.
Vilarinho da Furna, in the municipality of Terras de Bouro in the Braga district, in northern Portugal, was an old village that was erased from the map in 1972.