Hang Son Doong is a solutional cave in Phong Nha-Kẻ Bàng National Park, Bố Trạch District, Quảng Bình Province, Vietnam. As of 2009 it is the biggest known cave in the world.
The Borovsko Bridge is an unfinished highway bridge near Borovsko , part of Bernartice municipality, Central Bohemian Region, Czech Republic. It is commonly known as the “Czech Avignon” or “Hitler’s Bridge”.
The Metéora is one of the largest and most important complexes of Greek Orthodox monasteries in Greece, second only to Mount Athos.
The Outer Trial Bank is a circular artificial island in the Wash, East Anglia, England. It is one of two islands constructed during the 1970s for a governmental water resources scheme.
Pamukkale, meaning “cotton castle” in Turkish, is a natural site in Denizli Province in southwestern Turkey. The city contains hot springs and travertines, terraces of carbonate minerals left by the flowing water.
The Vajont Dam (or Vaiont Dam) is a disused dam in Italy, which was completed in 1959. On 9 October 1963, during initial filling, a massive landslide caused a man-made megatsunami in the lake in which 50 million cubic metres of water overtopped the dam in a wave 250 metres (820 ft) high, leading to 1,910 deaths and the complete destruction of several villages and towns.
Horseshoe Bend is the name for a horseshoe-shaped meander of the Colorado River located near the town of Page, Arizona, in the United States.
Known as ‘Glass Beach’, for many years the coastline looked the opposite of a pristine and perfect beauty spot. It was a Soviet era tip, where truckloads of broken vodka bottles and cracked porcelain were dumped. Over many years, the waves smoothed away the sharp edges as it turned the shards of glass and china over in the water. They have now become a tourist attraction on Ussuri Bay, near the naval port of Vladivostok in the east.
On the southeast coast of South America, between Uruguay and Argentina, there is a tapering intrusion of the Atlantic Ocean. The funnel-shaped intrusion extends about 290 kilometer inland and terminates at the point where the Uruguay and the Paraná rivers meet. This is Río de la Plata, or the “River of Silver” in Spanish.
The Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) (also nicknamed the Desertron) was a particle accelerator complex under construction in the vicinity of Waxahachie, Texas.
Vilarinho da Furna, in the municipality of Terras de Bouro in the Braga district, in northern Portugal, was an old village that was erased from the map in 1972.
Some 3,000 driving dams once existed throughout New Zealand, with the last built during the late 1930s. As the timber industry dwindled, gradually the dams decayed and disappeared and now only a few remain as relics of this destructive industry.
The Orpheum Theatre opened on April 15, 1912 — the same day the Titanic sank. Located on Water Street in New Bedford, Massachusetts, it was part of a Beaux-Arts building that was built in 1910 by a French-Canadian group known as Le Club des Francs-Tireurs (The French Sharpshooters Club).
SS Richard Montgomery was an American Liberty ship built during World War II, one of the 2,710 used to carry cargo during the war.
Niagara Falls is the collective name for three waterfalls that straddle the international border between Canada and the United States; more specifically, between the province of Ontario and the state of New York. They form the southern end of the Niagara Gorge.
Trolltunga is a piece of rock hanging horizontally out of a mountain about 700 meters above the Ringedalsvatnet in Skjeggedal close to Tyssedal by the Sørfjorden of the Hardanger Fjord in the municipality of Odda, Norway.
On the Maryland side of the Potomac River just west of Chesapeake Bay, the largest shipwreck fleet in the Western Hemisphere sits half-sunk and decomposing.
A bridge which connects Hong Kong with Macau and Zhuhai, is the world’s longest sea crossing.
Bagger 288 (Excavator 288), built by the German company Krupp for the energy and mining firm Rheinbraun, is a bucket-wheel excavator or mobile strip mining machine.
The norias of the ancient Syrian city of Hama are seventeen historic waterwheels located along the Orontes River that date back to the Byzantine Era.